Sunday, October 9, 2011

American pie

So this is a post about my recent visit to the US of A.
Anyone who has already heard my stories from the above said travel, should read on anyways ! Since what i am going to write here is different from anything i have told anybody ! :P

Thanks for reading on !

Right.... So lets start from the beginning.
AI 191
Got up, went to work, came back early. Got packed, went to the airport. Waited for four extra hours since the flight was delayed. Sat in the plane. Watched my neighbors while they hibernated their way through the entire flight ! Stayed awake the whole time. The whole time. 16 hours of it.
Pause : Shit how i hate myself for not being able to sleep while travelling.

NewYork
Got up. Went to NY. Walked around a lot ! A lot ! Got completely lost in the hussle that is the newyork city ! Saw times square. Sat on the stairs. Got up. Walked a lot. Came back home !
Pause : I loved the city ! I think it has a life of its own !

Road trip to the Niagara Falls
Got up, packed a whole bunch of things. Sat in the car. Went a few hundred miles. Got stuck in a traffic jam for two hours ! Got lost on the roads. Got back on the road again. Reached Niagara. Went to see the falls at night.
Pause : I was actually stuck in a traffic jam in the US of A ! And i thought i had seen them all ! :P

Niagara
Got up. Went to Niagara park. Saw the falls for the first time at night. Marvelled at the sheer magnitude and strength of the falls. Came back. Ate indian punjabi food . Slept. Got up. Went to the falls again. Took the maid of the mist ride. Got completely drenched. Loved it ! Took the walk to the cave of the winds. Stood under the awesome force of the falls. Nearly froze under the cold waters. Loved it !
Pause : The niagara falls are an amazing experience. The raw energy of the falls is mesmerising.

DC
Got up. Packed a whole bunch of stuff. Travelled to Virginia. Stayed at friends place. Saw 'Angoor' on youtube. Loved it ! Took the subway to Union Station. Loved it ! Took an open top bus tour. Flipped through the city like it was a travel catalogue. Got down. Had lunch at the Hard Rock cafe for the first time. Loved it !
Pause : Washington really is an amazing city. I would love to have the opportunity to explore more of what the city has to offer.

Liberty
Got up. Went to the Liberty state park. Ran after the last ferry of the day to take us to Liberty islands. Saw the statue of liberty in all her glory. Loved it ! Saw the Manhattan skyline, including the twin towers which weren't there and the new tower which will do a wonderful job of replacing them. Almost missed the ferry out of the islands again !
Pause : The sheer size of the statue is something to behold.

Well that's about it. That about covers the travel part of it.
I would also like to share some personal observations.
I did not like the US. I would not like to live there. Its too impersonal. Its too functional. Its just too damn far away from home, from friends, from life ! People who go there have certain aims in life, certain aspirations which they think cannot be fulfilled here. So they are willing to make such sacrifices.
I have no such aspirations. I am perfectly happy with my life and its progress here. I need this life. I need my people. I need the chaos. I need the city.

They say, man travels the whole world in search of something he needs, only to return home to find it !


Creative Commons License
Mavdiary by Rhishikesh Joshi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments: